Professional

Professional

Monday, January 15, 2024

Happy MLK Day.

Today is Martin Luther Kings Jr day! As I was working yesterday, I took a moment to kind of get still and take in where I was at. Here's a couple of the pics that hang at the 2's house.

I don't think things happen by chance, I also don't think that it was coincidence that out of 50+ people in my class, I was the only one assigned to the 2's house out of the academy. Let me tell you why I love the 2's house. Being honest, The 2's house is the only house that you can go to and actually not just see, but feel diversification, equality, and inclusion. As I've traveled to all the houses in the city in the year or so I've been back, As I proudly state 'where I'm normally at' it's comical what happens to the facial reactions and demeanor of people who ask. Surprisingly(Not) of
course the 2's is the most talked about, and frankly sh!t'd upon houses in the department, even by some of the very people, whom birth of this job started there. They use things like lack of training, no growth/promotion ability, lack of work ethnic(2nd busiest in the city), abilities, I've even heard 'cleanliness of the house is why I hate it there' lol. The truth is the rest of the houses sh!t on the 2's because any given unit day, it's staff is 80% black, and it's the only house where that exist.

I can't know for sure, but I bet that's what Dr. King was going through in his prime of dreaming and marching. It was constant Push back, restrain, oppression-and ultimately led to his assassination- for just wanting to be equal, nothing more than wanting to be respected, seen and heard for living, or in this case doing the very same job, as his peers.

So, yes! Your Goddamn right, there's pride, joy and solace everyday that I put on my uniform and go to work. Regardless rather I'm home at the 2's or traveling to other houses and representing the 2's house loudly and proudly! And when I'm there I'm glad to be HOME, and wouldn't rather be anywhere else! So Thank you Dr. King, and the many who came before me at the 2's, for giving me a home, in a industry/field where you couldn't always find one.

No comments:

Post a Comment